A Fabulously Addicting and Heartbreaking Read; AKA Another Fabulous Nicola Yoon Book // Thoughts on The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

The Sun is Also a Star Author: Nicola Yoon Publisher: Delacorte Press Release Date: November 1st 2016 Format: ARC Natasha: I’m a ...

The Sun is Also a Star

Author: Nicola Yoon
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: November 1st 2016
Format: ARC
Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story. Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us. The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?
When I heard that Nicola Yoon would be writing another book, I already knew that I would want to read it. Everything, Everything was a book I really enjoyed so I was looking forward to see what her next book would be about. Thanks to Jess, I was able to get an opportunity to read it and let me tell you, this book is fabulous. I really loved the writing style that Nicola wrote in, the characters were quite a joy to read about, and I really enjoyed this plot. It was a really quick read but this book always kept me interested in the story and I never really got bored with it. If you're looking for a fun but kind of heartbreaking read, definitely try this book!

The first thing I want to talk about with this book is how fabulous the writing style was. I really liked the writing style for Everything, Everything. It had some emails, journal entries, and also your typical narration. What I liked about the writing style in this book was how Nicola told the story from the perspective of basically everyone and gave the opportunity for readers to get to know the minor characters that popped up in the book. We get small glimpses of pasts and futures of characters that Natasha and Daniel would come across, which is not something that authors include. I thought it was a great touch to the book and definitely made it more unique. It also showed how little you know about people you come across everyday and that everyone has a deeper story than what meets the eye.

Another thing I really loved about this book was how there were diverse characters! You had a family of Jamaicans and a family of Koreans, which was fabulous because for once, a story in New York City wasn't told with only white people! I also really liked how Nicola included immigration in her book, which is a very relevant thing for most people because their relatives have to have come to American in some way! I don't read a lot about immigration and deportations in books a lot so Nicola writing about Natasha coming across that problem was something I really enjoyed.

The plot of this book was something I enjoyed and also thought worked very well. I loved how the book took place within a day and I thought the New York City setting was very fitting for this story. It's New York City, a lot can happen in a day there. I haven't been to too many major cities of America but New York City and Manhattan in general sets up the story well and provide characters with lots to do. It was also really fun to read about a book set in New York because I've only been there once and never really got to fully see New York, which sounds reasonable seeing as though I spent about three days there. I really want to go back one day but alas, for now I shall live through that desire with books! (As one does.)

Okay, there is only one major problem that I could find someone having with this book. It's kinda instalovey. Some people may disagree with me on this book to me, I felt like there were some moments that felt rushed and kind of unrealistic and the relationship with Natasha and Daniel is kinda instalovey. It's cute, but I wish it wasn't as instalovey as it was but when considering the whole book takes place in a day, having the relationship be a little instalovey was not something that could have been totally avoided in my opinion. Honestly, the instalove didn't push my rating down, it was the unrealistic and rushed parts of dialogue of the book. Nevertheless, it didn't stop me from enjoying the book at all.
Okay, the epilogue of this book was extremely sweet. I loved the fact that it wasn't told from Natasha or Daniel but from Irene, who we hadn't even seen since the beginning of the book. It was nice to read about her story and how Natasha had affected it and then, see how her story would tie up with Daniel and Natasha's. It was all told in a very storytelling way, everything was straightforward and I appreciated how Nicola was able to cover basically ten years in about two pages, then bring us back again for the epilogue. Epilogue was definitely needed and I'm glad we got it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top