Okay, So It May Sound Like I Know What I'm Doing But // Behind the Scenes of One of Kaitlin's Reviews

So, when reading a review, do you ever wonder what the person is thinking while writing their review? Like, how they truly feel about th...

So, when reading a review, do you ever wonder what the person is thinking while writing their review? Like, how they truly feel about the review their writing? Well, today, I have basically written a few paragraphs about my process (and thoughts) that runs through my head while writing a review. And just warning you, you won't get any useful review writing tips here, this is just the mess that goes on in my head while I am writing reviews. So uh, enjoy?


The first paragraph is a bitch to write. Why? Because it's been two years and I still don't know how the hell to open up a review. Maybe I might talk about what made me want to read this book? Maybe I might open with a sentence with a few hints about how I felt about the book. Honestly, if it's anything I dislike writing it's the beginning. And then I might end the paragraph with a "quote worthy" sentence summing up my thoughts on the book. Also, whenever I edit the first paragraph, I always end up adding in so much stuff because the sentences are SO. DAMN. CHOPPY. And I don't know why. Like my thoughts are usually *always* unfinished and I end up adding a lot more to them. Thank god for editing.

Here (and for the rest of the review), I try not to use the word "so" too many times. ("This book" is also a phrase that gives me anxiety because I do use it a lot as well) If I didn't do this, every sentence would start with "so." Maybe I might use "first?" Bringing back those transition words I was always told to use in school! Yay! These are the paragraphs where I don't know what to crap to say. Honestly, I just type and pray I stay on topic, don't say anything horrible, and write coherent sentences. I used to do this thing where my reviews would be 4 paragraphs. Opening, one about my thoughts about the characters, another about the plot/world/writing, and the ending. Recently though, I've just been doing small paragraphs about different things and not really sticking to certain things. Sometimes, I just might have a lot to say about the world, but nothing about the writing.

*Insert sentence here about a small thought I had about the book but it was obviously not important enough for a while paragraph so YAY SENTENCE*

And the rambling continues on. At this point I am just so glad to be almost done with the review because it may seem easy to just sit down and write 5-6 paragraphs about a book I *hopefully* enjoyed and yes it does seem to go by very quickly once you're done but sometimes, IT TAKES SO LONG TO WRITE. Partly because I'm a clueless mess and get very distracted. (Fun fact: It used to take me like three to five to write a review because I always got SO DISTRACTED with Twitter. Oops.) (Another fun fact: I still kinda do but) Oh, and maybe I have the book I'm writing about next to me because guess which book lover forgot the main character's name? This gal.

At this point, I am writing all these very professional and "I've got my shit together" sentences but like, on the inside, this is what's happening. I'm 5 guys, I don't know what I'm doing or how to be professional and mature. Oh my god but that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking because I do. I just, am a very fake professional person.

Please don't stop reading my blog.

And now I end it because I'm done ramblings about by thoughts. This is almost as awkward as the beginning paragraph because, well, I really just don't know how to do it without writing hella choppy sentences. This paragraph doesn't last long though. Because really, I just mention how much I liked the book, why, and give it a star rating.

*and here lies the super fancy CSS star rating. I am so proud of myself for figuring this out yay*

So tell me: Do you relate? Because uhm, haha I can't be the only mess out there...


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top