Things You Should Know When Starting A Bookstagram

Hello and happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all have a great day filled with friends and family and food! Today, I have another excited gues...

Hello and happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all have a great day filled with friends and family and food! Today, I have another excited guest post that is about bookstagramming and basically a one stop post to everything one would need to know when starting to take beautiful book pictures. I took a few tips from this post myself. Hikari, Instagrammer at Folded Pages Distillery is here to talk about her favorite apps, tips, and tricks! Hope everyone enjoys and picks up some new tips!

---

I’m excited to be a guest blogger today and to share with you a little bit about my experience with book photography on my blog and Instagram page, Folded Pages Distillery.

I’ve decided to note here some of the most important lessons I’ve learned about book photography and keeping my account something fun and original for me to do.

Photography

My book photos have seen a real evolution in the last year since I started my Bookstagram account. There are a few reasons for that, but I narrow them down to two:

1. I didn’t really have a vision for my account.
When I first started my account, I only viewed it as another way to get my blog book review posts out there on the web. I didn’t realize that it could be a creative opportunity.

No matter what your style is, or what kind of effort you want to put into your photos, I have found that it’s easier to maintain an account if you have a theme or purpose.

Once I decided that I wanted my account to be geared towards book reviews, recommendations, and a place to have conversations about books, the rest fell into place.

2. Photography experience
When it comes to photography, I will never be able to get technical with you. I’m just a girl with a smartphone taking pictures. But I have learned through taking pictures a little about lighting, which has made all the difference for me. You can get photography tips online, I’m sure, but since this is about my experience, I say: “practice makes perfect” AND “lighting = everything.”

So. Let’s talk about lighting.

Many people have asked me if I use fancy photography equipment. The answer is no. I only use my phone (iPhone6 Plus), a white tablecloth, and my kitchen table pushed up underneath a window.

Photographing under the window gives me lots of good light. I have learned what times of day I have the best light through those windows and that’s when I try to photograph. At the same time, I’m a mama and I have a job, so I’m not always able to take photos during those golden hours. If I need to take a photo during a time where there is hash light coming through the window, I hang up a white sheet, so the light still comes through, but it’s muted. Some times I set up a photo at night, go to bed, and take the picture in the morning when the lights is good.

If I’m photographing outside, I try to photograph in the morning or in the evening when the light isn’t directly above me. I have been known to hold an umbrella over my shot to reduce the light and glare, and that works well for me. (umbrella = ultra fancy photography equipment.)

Find a spot with good natural light, then practice taking photos there during different times of the day. You’ll learn quickly which times are best for you to shoot there.

Editing apps


VSCO app:
Filters can do some pretty amazing things for your photos. You can pump up the color, mute the color, brighten, or make it look like you’ve used a professional camera. I am sure there are many different filtering apps out there, but I only use VSCO because I love it so much. There are a variety of free filters in VSCO you can use that are excellent, or you can purchase other filter packs for $1.99. I have only ever used the free filters, and love them.

PHONTO app:
Phonto also provides different filters, but I only use it to add text to my photos. I like to have my Blog and Instagram name on my photos so people know they are mine. Phonto is the easiest I’ve used. It’s very straightforward, incredibly easy to use, and free.

Photographing on my phone, and using only these two editing apps makes my process easy and quick. I can do it all from my phone, and that’s important to me. Once you find the apps that work for you, posting can be a quick and easy thing.

Ways to make Bookstagramming fun and not get burned out:


I have had a lot of Bookstagram friends get burned out or delete their accounts altogether after awhile. They felt a lot of pressure to take fancy or extremely curated photos. It’s hard not to get sucked into that mentality every now and again. So:

1. Pick a theme that is sustainable for you:
If putting tons of things and arranging them in a photo is a lot of work for you, don’t do it or don’t do it all the time. Pick a style or theme that pushes your creativity, but remains doable. There is no one “best” way to take photos. Find a style that represents you and own it.

2. Make friends:
I have made many good friends on Instagram. Just by commenting on other photos, or responding to comments on my own photos, I’ve made some very good internet friends— some of whom have turned into real life friends. It is so fun to be in a community where you can talk about books and your opinions on stories with others who enjoy it too.

3. Use the library
Bookstagram is not about owning lots of books. Over half of the books I photograph are from the library. I only buy books that I really really love. Libraries are a great way to read books without spending money. Just because your personal bookshelf isn’t packed with books, doesn’t mean you can’t get your hands on plenty books to photograph and share!

4. Use book tags
Whenever I am stumped on creativity, I use book tags. Book tags are hashtags that are prompts to what you can put in different pictures. Most people think that I come up with all my ideas on my own. But in reality, I really rely on book tags to help me curate a photo. When I first started Bookstagramming, I never ever considered putting any props in my photos. But after getting tagged in things like #bookandmakeup, #bookandnecklace #bookandootd #bookandwatch #bookandtreat I realized that my home was filled with fun props.

5. Post when you can
Post however much you like, but don’t feel like you need to post several times a day. Keep it to one post or one every couple days. That way you’re still engaged, and not burning yourself out quickly.

I love the Bookstagram community. I love taking pictures of books, pushing my creativity, and talking about books with people who love them as much as I do. I hope that some of these tips and suggestions help you make the most of your Instagram account!

---

So tell me: Did you get any tips from Hikari's post? I know I did!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Back to Top